2009/11/09

Living in the new house

It's been a while without a post and the initial excitement has worn off but I'll update this from time to time. Currently I'm working, looking after my heavily pregnant wife and my three children and writing my PhD so I'm rather busy...

So we've been in the new house for a while now and we've come through winter allright although it did get very cold at times. When the house is around 10degC in the mornings it's pretty miserable getting up to that and having only oil column heaters is not great since it takes a long time to heat up. I've done a combination of leaving the heaters riunning low all night, running via a thermostat in the wee boys room an using a timer to turn the lounge heater on early in the mornings but even that only takes the chill off the air really. We have had a shocking (pun not intended!) power bill in the first 2 months so I was more frugal after that.
The new house is definitely easier to heat than our previous house and we do have some uneven loose fill rockwool insulation in the ceiling but I think the main reason is that it is simply smaller.

So progress so far is:
- the fireplace has been covered up and one exterior wall of our lounge has been insulated and gib board (= sheetrock) replaced. I was a bit gung ho about it and bought R2.6 fibreglass blanket insulation (polygold) to put in the walls. It was cheap and I could cut it to size and it was high R so I though it would be good. The 90mm thick R2.5 wall biscuits are about double the price. This is 110mm thick for a wall cavity of about 90mm so the gib board needed to be pushed in firmly to screw it in place and in hindsight I'd probably go for the thinner stuff next time. There IS a little bit of bulging going on in the gib board but I'm not too worried. I took the opportunity to also extend a power circuit to the end of the room with dual 4-way power sockets and also put in a proper aerial socket rather than the cord coming out of the wall... Previously the whole lounge had one double socket at one end of the room which just doesn't cut it nowadays.
- We have a heat pump!!! Yay! Will write a separate post on this.
- insulation has still not been done and the bloody government has pulled the plug on our insulation guys funding because the scheme was too successful and they moved to limit the number of houses insulated . Stupid and annoying for us. Currently there's only one installer who can do work for community services card holders like us so we'll have to re-apply to them and may well have to spend much more money because they are not as cheap... I'm pretty annoyed about it.
- the weather is getting better which is nice.

Cheers!
Benjamin

7 comments:

  1. Hey! Great Post! There is good that in off season fireplace has been covered up. Hows your wife and your Family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A house is a home, building or structure that is a dwelling or place for habitation by human beings. The term house includes many kinds of dwellings ranging from rudimentary huts of nomadic tribes to free standing individual structures.[1] In some contexts, "house" may mean the same as dwelling, residence, home, abode, lodging, accommodation, or housing, among other meanings. The social unit that lives in a house is known as a household. Most commonly, a household is a family unit of some kind, though households can be other social groups, such as single persons, or groups of unrelated individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also living in my newly built house. But I got it heated well by a good and reasonable installed heating system. Which is suggested and installed by builders new York .Who really took care about my financial conditions and needs as well. They well reputed licensed constructers in NY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for putting your effort on presenting your ideas and thought clearly. It so easy to understand. Thank you so much. Looking forward for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am searching for best heating system. There are several options available but choosing the right one is not an easy task. I hope your story will help me in the selection of best heating system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent blog, I wish to share your post with my folks circle. It’s really helped me a lot, so keep sharing post like this
    House Renovations in Balham

    ReplyDelete