2009/06/01

Misery

We came back to our old home to sleep last night and stupidly left all the heaters in the new house... and it's probably the coldest night of the year and nobody has been here to heat the place... So anyway, to get to the point, it's 6.8 degrees Celsius inside this morning. I put the thermometer outside and it reads 5.7 degrees so that says a lot about the thermal insulation of our house doesn't it? Without heating it manages to stay 1 degree above ambient!
Didn't want to get out of bed and I feel miserable sitting out here in the cold. My toes and nose are cold - perhaps a second pair of socks will help? On the plus side the fridge won't be using much electricity and I don't need one of those fancy models with chilled water taps because it's cold just coming out of our normal taps!
My wife is feeling a bit sick so I've just lit the fire (otherwise we'd have gone straight to the new place) but that's a bit of an exercise in futility because our older inbuilt fireplace is not efficient and it would take several hours to warm the place up. Oh well, you do what you can.
The poor chickens (we have 2) are feeling the cold too it seems and have stopped laying eggs in the last few days. I really feel sorry for them in their plywood chook house. A thermally efficient chicken coop might make its way onto my already overflowing to-do list. The 2 cats slept inside and one of them crept into our bed last night which only happens when she's really cold.

Winter is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment